Wednesday, March 25, 2009

25th--PTI Blog Hop



The 25th of the month means PTI Blog Hop. Sorry about the absence, but sometimes life gets in the way! :)

This month's blog hop is all about backgrounds, creating your own that is. These are the instructions:

March Blog Hop

Background building sets have rapidly become one of Papertrey's signature traits. For this month's Blog
Hop, we want to see all of your very best backgrounds. They can be multi-colored or monochromatic.
Simple or elegantly detailed. They can be created with a set originated for that purpose or a reinvention
of images that were not. Be sure to include a separate photo of your completed background BEFORE
you add it to your project so we can see it in all its glory!


Let me pause to give some advice when stamping background paper.

First--It takes some time and practice. The better your viewing angle the better you can line everything up. The guidelines 2 stamp set from Papertrey Ink definitely helps, but I find standing up so I can look directly down through the acrylic block to help as well.

Second--Whatever you do, don't, and I really mean DON'T, stamp at the dining room table while your 5 year old and 3 year old munchkins are playing with fun foam and playdoh. Or even while they are stamping. Odds are they will choose just the moment that you put stamp to paper to decide to vigorously clean their stamp by rubbing it furiously over the wet paper towel you gave them for that purpose, in essence creating an earthquake like effect on your background paper. Just think about it before you do it. :)



I decided to create my background using new leaf, melon berry, and plum pudding inks (all from Papertrey Ink) and PTI's new Guide Lines 2 set, created specifically for making backgrounds. I was thinking spring as I was stamping. (Note: I used spring moss to stamp the background grid.) Here is the background (I stamped an entire 12x12 White Daisy sheet with this background).



Yeah. So what do you think when you see that paper? The first thing I though of was "Christmas". Huh. Not quite the look I was going for. But I went with it, making 2 separate Christmas cards with this background paper.



Then I decided I needed to challenge myself to really make a spring/summer card with this paper, after all these were intended as spring colors. Here's what I came up with:



Hopefully you can see the glitter on the flower, ribbon and Bloom sentiment. Everything else is pretty self-explanatory. Don't forget you can click on the photo to see the larger image.


Supplies:
CS: White Daisy (Close to my Heart), Melon Berry and Stamper's select White (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: Melon berry, New Leaf, Plum Pudding, Berry Sorbet, Ripe Avocado (Papertrey Ink)
Stamps: Guidelines 2, Spiral Bouquet (Papertrey Ink)
Ribbon: Melon Berry satin (Papertrey Ink)
Fruit Punch stickles from Ranger

Thanks for visiting!
Cindy

24 comments:

  1. your card is stunning! your tips made me laugh! Thanks! great design and great colors! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful. dang. i gotta have that set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun story and card. You rocked the background challenge.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty creation! Love the layout you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it turned out very pretty! And boy do I know what you mean about stamping with a 3 and 5 year old (got one of each) :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely!! And that bow is gorgeous - I'm jealous of your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! Love all the sparkle on your flower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card Cindy! Love the angle of the white center panel! Great job on the stamped back ground!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THat turned out beautifully...also appreciate the public service announcement about the kids, the playdough, the towel, the earthquake. I know this scenario well! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty - spring or Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! this is just beautiful! I love all the sparkle and the pretty color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a fabulous job of translating your background into a great spring card! :>

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful. I don't think it looks like Christmas paper. I love the added glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this - love the colors - the design and the glitter - Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the card is gorgeous! So show us the Christmas cards, too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is lovely! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cindy--nice blog. And as usual--beautiful cards. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! I don't think it looks christmasy at all, and your card turned out fab! So prettty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your colours and your layout!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete